Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE??? I THINK NOT!!!

I am compelled to write this, partly with sorrow but mostly with disgust. Our forefathers founded this country on the principals of establishing a government " OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE", yet we experience nothing less than a government of whomever has the most bucks to change what our Constitution was intended to be. I write not only of our so called leaders in Washington, but it trickles down to our state and particularly our local governments as well.

This evening's post is directed to the local government of the community in which I live. One of our city departments is bullying a local homeless shelter into throwing formerly homeless people out into the streets, you read this correctly, throwing formerly homeless people out into the streets to fend for themselves, simply because of certain codes that are now inexplicably being enforced after having been dormant for seven years.

It appears as though this particular city department has no feelings toward the homeless in my community and for that matter, why should they, they have a cushy job, enjoy a nice salary, have great benefits, all at the taxpayers' expense, I might add, but do they care about what happens to those who were rescued from the JAWS of homelessness and  are now, once again, being forced out, into the streets and back alleys of my community?

My answer to this question is: ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

This shelter has housed residents that would otherwise have been arrested as vagrants or lived in back alleys, dumpsters, anywhere they could seek shelter from the elements. They were given a home, food, clothes, a job and an opportunity to return to mainstream society, most of them are still residents of this shelter, but now, a majority of them will be forced back out into the streets because of REGULATIONS......REGULATIONS.....How disgusting, how pathetic, how heartless is this department for choosing who gets to stay at the shelter and who gets cast out, because of REGULATIONS.

Where have we evolved as a society, that allows a REGULATION  to overpower common sense and decency toward our fellow man? One would argue that codes, and regulations are placed in order to maintain order, control and to keep citizens happy and in most cases, codes and regulations work for the good of the community, however, when these so called codes and regulations affect hopeless human beings, that's where government on any level needs to put on the brakes, draw the line and step back a moment and reflect upon the values in which this country was founded.

I wonder how these officials of this particular city department would feel about codes and regulations if the shoe were on the other foot and if somehow, these officials over crowded their homes by  needing to house their family members  who were victims of losing all they had....let me guess, their answer would more than likely be, " what codes, what regulations? "

Think about it everyone.....rules and regulations are only words written and adopted by man, they are not gospel and somewhere along the way, we need to bend a little for the good of mankind! Please post your comments and as always, thank you and may God bless you, may God have mercy on us all!!!

Ron Gauthier

http://www.helpinghomelessinamerica.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. Good morning!

    Ron is right about the homeless. I am also concerned of all those who were struck by economic downturns, and lack of compassion for our neighbors, yes, neighbors. We need to be the stewards of creation and take care of our homeless.

    I, too, am fortunate to have a beautiful home, a loving and caring wife and a job which will end next July.

    Before our wedding, I made many donations of clothes, furniture and dishes to the needy, and not to forget a new washer and dryer for a needy family for my parish.

    We all can participate in helping the homeless, the needy and the destitute.

    I commend what my cousing is doing for the homeless. It sounds very rewarding. We as Americans are fortunate to be free, and to have so much. Isn't about time that we share a portion of our good fortune to those who are not so fortunate?

    I am priveleged to see this website and I hope that we all can participate in helping our homeless.

    God bless you all!

    Georges R. Gauthier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you George, my dear cousin. You and I can remember well, when we as young boys, both saw our fathers struggle to make ends meet for their respective families, when both were hurt and needed back surgery. Those in fact, were the good old days when it seems that people cared more about eachother back then. My work for the poor, the oppressed and the homeless in America has just begun and I will not stop until I can awaken our leaders into taking care of business here at home in America. Thank you once again for your kind and generous words and please help my cause by spreading the word to all you know and invite them to join my blog. With love and gratitude, your cousin, Ronny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ron,

    I'm very happy to see your blog. I came across it when doing a search for "homeless in America". I agree with your post here. I can't believe that there are so many people living on the margins of society in the world's richest country. How can we not take care of our people?

    I have some further comments and will send a message to you on your listed email address.

    Best wishes an I'm glad that you have this blog and for all that you are doing to help the homeless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Guneeta...I've read your e-mail to me and I am touched and honored that you have taken time from your life to post your comments to my blog and to send me e-mail regarding that older gentleman you wrote me about. My advice regarding your question is to offer him a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, he seems by your description to be a proud man still and you're probably right in your assumption that he will not accept money. Sometimes all a homeless person needs is to be recognized by another human being. Unfortunately, homeless people are so wrongly catagorized as vagrants and humans are quick to assume the worst in homeless people. Please pray for him and the hundreds of thousands of homeless people in this country and help him, the rest of the homeless and help me in creating more awareness to homelessness in America by telling all you know about my blog for the more people know about it and the more people post comments to my blog, I will have the ammunition required to plead my case to Washington on behalf of the poor, the oppressed and the homeless in America. Thank you once again Guneeta and may God reward you for your kindness toward your fellow human being and God bless you for being a good person.

    ReplyDelete